Terrible year for music really, and really hoping to see the back of tropical house, mopey MOR men with acoustic guitars and future bass this year, although I do worry about what they'll be replaced with. The worst track of the year was clearly that wretched cover of Dancing On My Own but what were the best? Find out below. Radio 1's Dance Anthems has told me that bangers ain't dead, they just can't cross over.
More Lichfield Interrogates interviews in the pipeline, including a Hacienda legend. Bit of a coup if I do say so myself.
TRACKS OF THE YEAR:
1. AlunaGeorge feat. Popcaan: I'm in Control
2. Kanye West feat. Kendrick Lamar: No More Parties in LA
3. Izzy Bizu: White Tiger
4. Radiohead: Daydreaming
5. David Bowie: Lazarus
6. Blinkie: Don't Give Up (On Love)
7. Kungs Vs. Cookin' on 3 Burners: This Girl
8. Clean Bandit feat. Anne-Marie and Sean Paul: Rockabye
9. Rihanna: Kiss it Better
10. Robbie Williams: Party Like a Russian
11. The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk: Starboy
12. High Contrast: Remind Me
13. Banks: Gemini Feed
14. Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj: Side to Side
15. Nadia Rose: Skwod
16. Laura Mvula: Phenomenal Woman
17. Dua Lipa: Be the One
18. Tiga: Shoes (Green Velvet Remix)
19. Kattison: Up and Down
20. Kölsch: Grey
21. Two Door Cinema Club: Ordinary
22. Glass Animals: Life Itself
23. Mystery Jets: Bombay Blue
24. Offiah: Trouble
25. Dizzee Rascal and Calvin Harris: Hype
You can listen from 25-1 here.
Also 2016 marked the start of Dave and Sully, in which me and my pal Sully get together for a lengthy one-on, one-off session, normally on a Thursday night, without knowing what each other have picked as he slots his choices in between mine whilst squinting. Putting this on shuffle is one my favourite activities as the database of bangers covers a host of genres and eras.
Listen to the Dave and Sully Jukebox here.